Thursday 7 August 2014

Latex & Sponge Nose

Following on from my previous post, I decided to explore the use of sponge & latex to add bulk.

I found it took a while for the sponge to become tacky enough to stick, and to be moulded. Once it did, it was quite effective, although perhaps not suitable for creating a smooth natural skin surface, particularly as the layers created a lot of bumps and ridges.










 I constructed the nose using about 20 thin layers of sponge, cut into different shapes according to where they were being placed, and moistened with latex. I added a couple of extra layers of latex on top to seal the  outer sponge holes. If I had constructed the nose a little more neatly I think the result could have been smoother but this would do for a monster or witchy-type look. I added a little colour using a liquid foundation but I'm sure I could find paint more suitable for latex - will look that up.

All in all, the best solution is probably to create pieces out of silicone set in a mould to make a precise and realistic shape. But as I do not have the materials or space, I will do what I can with my sponge dipped in latex!








No comments:

Post a Comment