Sunday 1 June 2014

Wax wound (hand)

In comparison with latex, I found wax to be much quicker and more realistic for small cuts. There are some drawbacks - wax can be smudged and peels (although i believe using a layer of latex round the edges helps with this), and it can't be reused.

I started off by scraping up some wax (snazaroo) and rolling little pieces into sausage shapes. I then pressed it at one side and smoothed away from the middle of the wound.

It melted into my skin quickly and I found you can't rub it away successfully, instead you have to add more or slowly mold it. In fact I made a mess of it the first time I tried and had to clean off and start again.

During the first attempt I rubbed the wax outwards too for so it melted and got caught up in my hairs:




The second time things went a little smoother:



I tried to be more precise and get a cleaner line.


Next, I darkened the cut with black shadow, as suggested in a youtube video I saw, although I think black liquid liner or black stage paint works better as I ended up having to go back in with that later.

I also used a variety of shadows including brown, purple and yellow around the wound to suggest bruising and tenderness.





Then for the gory bit, I added a little fake blood inside the cut, as well as darkening it with black, green and a hint of yellow Kryolan grease paint. I stipple just a little green and yellow on the outside too to make it look a little infected.






If you feel you haven't been grossed out enough by this, here's a couple of blurry photos of me pinching the cut together and opening it out:



No comments:

Post a Comment