Monday 22 September 2014

Clay Beginnings

I decided to invest in some air drying clay to help make prosthetics. It was nice to work with a different material and I decided to do something a bit "monstrous". I was going for werewolf but it ended up being slightly pig-like. 







 Once this had dried I added about 8-10 layers of latex. However once I peeled this off I realised it was still too thin and lacked texture.


Here are a few things I've learned recently:

A more effective way to make facial prosthetics is to 1. create a life cast using alginate, cover in mod roc + removed then filled with plaster 2. once set either apply latex layers directly on to cast OR build up clay for a more structural feature along with adding wrinkles and skin texture if desired, then 3. take cast of the whole thing after rubbing with anti-mold or oil and finally 4. pour in a good layer of latex, thinning out at the edges to improve appearance when removed and applied.

I have gathered small pieces of information online from various articles, websites and "how-to" videos. I yet have put any of this in practice...

I have also watched a couple of wig-making tutorials which look fun but I will try that the day I get enough money to buy all those fancy hooks and batches of hair!


No comments:

Post a Comment