Sunday 6 April 2014

Lucha Libre 2

My second shot at the Luchador inspired look had a more Mexican feel. I planned it out more carefully this time but the finished effect doesn't come across as particularly original I feel. Still, it's a bit neater than last time and was closer to what I planned to achieve.



After drawing a rough outline in white mixed with a little silver I neatened it up with a forget-me-not kind of colour. Royal blue would have been too much against the red.




Apologies for the aggressive expression - was squinting a bit due to the sunlight. The design was based off the traditional "blue devil" wrestling mask with a bull element. I think I need to get my hands on a costume or props for inspiration and to add to the look of the makeup. 


A particular style of theatre which had been of interest to me is abstract/surreal theatre. Colleagues of mine have recently pointed me in the direction of Theatre of the Absurd, Theatre of Cruelty and In Yer Face theatre (the latter movement came about more recently I think). A particularly surreal production that inspired me was "Les Mamelles de Tiresias" by Macha Makeieff, written by Guillaume Appolinaire. The set design along with costume and makeup create a circus-like world which is constantly transforming and features an unexpected mixture of styles from different times, creating an imaginary by-gone era all by itself. My father played the 'ring leader' of the opera and his costume was out of this world: a bald cap with a few bright blue feathers coming out the top-middle of his head, dark blue glittering eyes - one with clockwork orange style lower eyelashes - and a shimmering blue harlequin suit. I will see if I can get a picture to put up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment