Saturday 5 April 2014

Lucha Libre

One of the many things which has inspired me recently is Mexican wrestling and in particular, the masks traditionally worn by Luchadors. The main aspect which attracts me to this is the colour and boldness which would work well on stage I think. The challenge here was making the look appear mask-like as my first attempts ended up being too tribal. This might have been because I am still mostly making the design up as I go so other influences affect what I'm doing.





My trial here was relatively unsuccessfully in terms of the look I wanted to create - I chose too tribal a pattern and the colours were earthy (brown, yellow and red) so it wasn't bold or detailed enough to give the impression of a wrestling mask. Looking at this picture now, the outline is not strong enough either. It definitely looks better in black and white with a bit of editing.







Again, could improve on outline but it's starting to take shape into a more menacing mask. Added a bit of black to one side to try and make it look like it was on the surface - not sure if it worked or not.



I think I will have another crack at this one - I'd like to incorporate more of a Mexican style into it and plan out exactly what I'm going to do.






No comments:

Post a Comment