Wednesday 23 April 2014

Saucy(ish) Victorian Look



Again, mixing things up since my last post, this idea is pretty much just practice for a music video I will hopefully be doing makeup for. The makeup looks needed have to look Victorian in some way, there is a scene at the end which takes place in a brothel and I thought this was a good place to start! There will also be a scene with a dead person so that might be the next thing I try. The main character is meant to look quite spinster-esque and I already have a couple of ideas for that to try later on...

For now, Victorian sauciness is my attempt.

A couple of pics with and without flash on the camera to try and get the colour across:




I had just bought a lot of new makeup to try out, and I think this shows in how tentative these are. I definitely played it safe with this one and will need to bring it to a new level to really portray a Victorian brothel lady.





Bright lipstick worked well, I previously tried a nude shade but it made me look witchy - not the right tone for me perhaps. I also don't know if this is OTT enough - it's quite subtle and could just be taken as a normal madeup look. Not whoorish enough




The dark lipstick is also good. I reckon I could go WAY more dramatic on the eyes, maybe with real big caterpillar eyebrows and colour/glitter around the temples. I'm not sure how to avoid it looking tarty in an up-to-date sense, thinking maybe Lady Marmalade, Moulin Rouge style might be key. Plus wigs and costumes would help a lot I think.




A bit more colour helps make the look appear more tarty. Perhaps the pink flash on the eyes is more raver than victorian prossey. 





I really should come up with a name for my mannequin head, I feel as if we've been through so much...

Moving forward with Victorian notions, I have tried to style the white wig (as seen previously in my "old lady" look) to make it appear along the lines of Scarlet Pimpernel or an old fashioned horseman. 




This will be one for my lovely model, Deebs to try on in the future I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment